The name Root stands for natural living, eating foods grown from the earth, feeling grounded and mindful, and getting to the root cause of the problem. Root reminds us that our roots are the foundation that leads to our overall wellbeing.
What we treat
We focus on prevention.
We use functional medicine and nutrition to create a customized wellness plan for you. You will learn more about yourself through our testing, review, and in-depth evaluation to transform your lifestyle to feel well for the long term. We know that gaining healthy roots will allow you to blossom.
We also cover the breadth of functional medicine, with a special interest in:
- Gut health
- Acid Reflux
- Weight loss
- Blood sugar imbalances
- Mental wellness
- Autoimmune conditions
What We Do
At Root, we use the most advanced testing in functional medicine, genomics, and microbiome and apply the science to your individual plan to help you restore wellness.
We work with clients as consultants over a period of 3-6 months in order to find root causes and support you through holistic healing plan.
As doctors as dietitians, we use a true food as medicine approach. We also offer enhanced plans where we are able to bring that food as medicine into your home.
About Dr. Erica Armstrong
Dr. Erica Armstrong recognizes the difference between the absence of disease and feeling well, the difference between normal and optimal, and the difference between treating symptoms and true healing. She focuses on digging for root causes and partnering with her patients so that they can heal. Dr. Erica Armstrong completed functional medicine certification training through the Institute of Functional Medicine.
Dr. Erica Armstrong's Credentials
- B.S. Psychology The Ohio State University
- Medical Doctorate Wright State University
- Family Medicine Residency at Michigan State University
- Board Certified Family Medicine Physician
- Institute of Functional Medicine Certified Practitioner. Completion of extensive Functional Medicine in: Gastrointestinal, Cardiometabolic, Detox, Immune, Hormone, and Energy Modules, Applying for Functional Medicine in Clinical Practice, and Advanced Clinical Training: Pediatrics.
About Kelsey Stricklen, MS, RD, CLT
Kelsey believes that we are all unique individuals with different nutritional needs. She helps people get to the root of their health issues by translating nutrition science into practical and actionable advice for her patients. She enjoys helping people increase their confidence in the kitchen and values creating long-lasting healthy habits.
- B.S. Dietetics from Michigan State University
- M.S. Nutrition and Dietetics from Central Michigan University
- Registered Dietitian (RD) since 2009.
- Integrative and Functional Nutrition Academy Certificate of Training (2017)
- Certified LEAP Therapist (CLT) – 2017. Kelsey is qualified to order the Mediator Release Test (MRT) for food sensitivities and create custom anti-inflammatory eating protocols based on results.
About Jenn Fillenworth, MS, RD
Jenn focuses on putting nutrition education to practice in the kitchen. She has worked as a part of a culinary medicine team to develop and implement classes specific to disease state. Jenn enjoys preparing a variety of cuisine as well as teaching others how to become better home cooks.
- BS in Dietetics from Michigan State University
- MS in Human Nutrition from Central Michigan University
- Personal Chef Certificate from the Secchia Institute of Culinary Education
- Registered Dietitian (RD) since 2014
- ServSafe Certified in Safe Food Handling